Sept 16, 2022

We are excited to learn! Students settled into social and academic routines and demonstrated increased independence in engaging in tasks.

Math
Number Talks are short discussions (5-10 minutes) focused on mental math and computational strategies. They promote the importance of being flexible with numbers using a variety of strategies. All students are encouraged to share their mathematical thinking during number talks in a variety of ways.

Benefits include:
-Provides structured practice for mental math
-Promotes the value in using mental math to compute
-Engages students in mathematical thinking and questioning

Examples of math talks include:

Students reflected on the following "I can" statements while exploring patterns this week:
* I can describe, extend, compare, and draw a repeating pattern. 
* I can describe, extend, compare, and draw an increasing pattern. 
* I can identify the pattern core. 
* I can create a new pattern. 
* I can talk about a pattern rule.

Literacy
We read so many delightful books this week. 
* I can listen and respond to questions.
* I can identify similarities and differences between texts.

Students focused on upper/lower case alphabet review (A,B,C,D,E,F,G)
* I can repeat sentences.
* I can identify letter sounds.
* I can count words.
* I can blend compound words.
* I can follow a sequence to form legible letters.
* I can create an illustration in response to a text and label the illustration with the sounds that I hear.

We created beautiful fish art to accompany our story. Check it out below.

Health
Our anchor text this year is "Finding Muchness" by Kobi Yamada. Students will reflect on how we find muchness in our classroom and school community during the school year. Some of the quotes we formed connections to and illustrated this week included:
*Take the biggest step you can toward what you want. Then from there, take another step.
*If you want something new, try something new. Create what you wish existed.
*Our greatest obstacles are often ourselves. If you think you can't you probably won't. But if you think you can, you most likely will. 

Student Voice
"I learned that I know how to spell words." -Madison
"I learned about kindness at school." -Kendrick
"I like playing with my friends at school." -Jacob
"We worked on writing the alphabet. I know my sounds." -Edie
"I worked really hard on my printing." -Connor

Classroom Update

Library Books: Weekly, students will bring home a library book. Please return the book on Thursday for exchange. 

Lalilo: This is an educational program that students can use home. Login information was sent home in folders on Wednesday.

Raz Kids: This is a literacy based program students can use at home. Login information was sent home in folders on Thursday.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 9, 2023

June 23, 2023

June 17, 2023